May 19, 2021
Liberty First’s Wilber Named Games Honorary Chairman
Opening Ceremonies Will Honor Healthcare Workers
Lincoln, NE (May 19, 2021) –Nebraska Sports Council (NSC) officials announced today that Frank Wilber, CEO of Liberty First Credit Union, a long-time sponsor of the Cornhusker State Games (CSG), will serve as the Honorary Chairman of the 2021 Games.
Wilber will participate in the Games’ Opening Declaration following the ceremonial caldron-lighting at Opening Ceremonies set to begin at 8 p.m. on Friday, July 16 at Seacrest Field in Lincoln.
NSC Executive Director Dave Mlnarik said the role of Honorary Chairman is typically reserved for the leader of a company that has supported the Games over a number of years.
“The Honorary Chairman represents the sponsors and volunteers of the Games, so it is a fitting role for Frank and all the good folks at Liberty First Credit Union. Liberty First has been a Gold Partner for the past seven years, and during that time, Frank has also shared his time, expertise and connections as a member of the CSG Opening Ceremonies Committee,” Mlnarik said.
Mlnarik shared some new details about the Ceremonies, which will include the traditional parade of athletes, skydivers, a demonstration by Nebraska’s top retriever dogs and handlers, fireworks and the lighting of the caldron. Recent developments include:
- The Opening Ceremonies will be televised statewide by News Channel Nebraska.
- The 2020 Mystery Torchlighter for the virtual Opening Ceremonies, Eric Crouch, will be on hand to pass the torch to this year’s Torchlighter.
- For the first time, axe throwers will have a place in the parade of athletes. Axe throwing was recently added to the 2021 sport lineup by the NSC Board of Directors.
- Longtime Omaha North Principal and Athletic Director Gene Haynes will lead the athletes onto the field as the Honorary Parade Marshal.
- Nebraska healthcare workers, represented by medical professionals from CHI Health St. Elizabeth, will be honored for their service during the pandemic.
- The Big Red Alumni Pep Band will perform the Star-Spangled Banner and a mini-concert before the Ceremonies.
- UNL’s Lil’ Red will join Sporty, Runza Rex and the Chick-fil-A Cow in the mascot showcase.
- Another College Football Hall of Famer, former Iowa and NFL quarterback Chuck Long, who now serves as the Iowa Games Director, will also be on hand promoting the 2022 State Games of America, which will take place in Ames/Des Moines, Iowa.
Wilber is a native of Detroit, Michigan and has lived in the Lincoln, Nebraska area since 2013. He started in the banking industry in 1996. Since 2013, he has been President and CEO of Liberty First Credit Union. Wilber currently serves as the Vice Chairman of the Nebraska Credit Union League Board of Directors. His sports interests include being an avid fan of several sports, but he also still plays adult-league hockey and pickup basketball, and has enjoyed coaching his sons’ youth teams over the years.
Liberty First Credit Union was originally chartered as the Burlington Employees Cooperative Credit Association in 1935 and served the employees of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad. Over the years, Liberty First’s field of membership has grown to include anyone living or working in Lancaster or Seward County and several other classification groups. In addition to supporting the NSC and other local charities, Liberty First Credit Union is a proud contributor to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.
The 2021 Cornhusker State Games offers competition in 70 sports for athletes of all ages and abilities. Most events take place July 16-25 at venues in Lincoln, Omaha and other Nebraska communities. Those interested can find information or register at CornhuskerStateGames.com.
NOTE: Access a Frank Wilber photo HERE.
July 22, 2021 - The final weekend of competition in the 2021 Cornhusker State Games (CSG) features action in 32 sports, including Ice Hockey, the Games’ largest sport with 855 athletes. Read more ...
July 18, 2021 - The main weekend of the Cornhusker State Games wrapped up Sunday, with over 40 sports taking place across Omaha, Columbus, Lincoln, and surrounding communities. Read More...
July 12, 2021 - The Cornhusker State Games preliminary weekend events took place over the weekend in Lincoln, Bellevue, Wahoo, Kearney, and Waverly Read More...
July 9, 2021
- Bass fishing at Lake Wanahoo began bright and early today with a 6 a.m. launch for two-person teams in 38 boats pursuing cash prizes and Cornhusker State Games Read More...
July 5, 2021 - Today is the final deadline to register for most sports in the 37th annual Cornhusker State Games Read More...
June 30, 2021 - Nebraska Sports Council officials announced today that Jordyn Bahl, who last week was named the 2020-21 Gatorade National Softball Player of the Year, will lead the Oath of Athletes Read More...